"I became an attorney because I wanted to work with people and have a positive impact on their lives. Nowhere is this more apparent and rewarding than in the field of Elder Law. My clients’ goals become my goals and I enjoy working with them every step of the way to accomplish peace of mind."
Melissa concentrates her practice in elder law, which includes Medicaid planning and applications, litigation for vulnerable adults against abuse, neglect, and exploitation, and guardianship estates. Melissa also serves as a court appointed Guardian ad Litem (GAL) and counsel for Respondents in guardianship estates.
In her free time, Melissa enjoys travelling, playing and watching sports, hiking, and spending time at her family’s camp on Twin Lakes in Upper Michigan.
Melissa has been licensed to practice law since 2014. Prior to joining Dutton Casey & Mesoloras in January 2013 as a law clerk, Melissa clerked for an elder law firm in her hometown of Marquette, Michigan. In addition, she worked at the John Marshall Law School Veteran’s Clinic throughout her law school education.
• Juris Doctor from the John Marshall Law School with a Certificate in Elder Law
• Bachelors of Business Administration, magna cum laude, in Finance from Northern Michigan University
VA Accredited Attorney
• National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, National and Illinois Chapter.
• Chicago Bar Association • Illinois Bar Association
• Court appointed pro bono Guardian ad Litem (GAL) through Chicago Volunteer Legal Services
• In connection with the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services’ Adult Protection Services Project, Mrs. Kallio is assisting, pro bono, the Cook County Adult Protective Services Agencies with their abuse, neglect and financial exploitation cases.
• Member of a M-Team, a multidisciplinary team focusing on combating abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation of vulnerable adults on the north side of Chicago.
• Board Member, Veterans’ Legal Aid Society