“I decided that elder law was a perfect fit - it allows me the opportunity to utilize the public benefits knowledge I gained while working for legal services, and gives me the satisfaction of helping people with difficult family problems.”
About | Experience | Education | Certification | Awards & Honors
Community Involvement | Professional Memberships | Community Involvement
Testimonials | Important Membership | LinkedIn Profile | Schedule An Appointment
Elder Law Certification and Award
Ms. Dutton has been practicing in the area of elder law for more than 30 years. As a result, Janna has the knowledge and depth of experience to skillfully navigate through a diverse range of legal matters, including guardianship and financial exploitation matters, trusts and estate planning, Medicaid planning and applications and probate and estate administration. She is certified by the National Elder Law Foundation as an elder law attorney and has held this certification since 1995. In her free time, Janna likes to travel and hike. In 2015, she walked for 33 days, completing the entire Camino de Santiago. In 2016, she walked the 100 mile Cotswold Way in England.
Prior to opening her private practice in 1989, Ms. Dutton was the Project Director of Senior Citizens Legal Services with the Cook County Legal Assistance Foundation. She is a frequent lecturer for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), the Chicago Bar Association, and for professional and community organizations. Ms. Dutton has also authored numerous publications.
Ms. Dutton received her Juris Doctor from DePaul University College of Law and completed her undergraduate education at Wheaton College.
- Elder Law
- VA Accredited
- Janna has been named "Leading Lawyer” in elder law in Illinois and “A Top Woman Lawyer” by Leading Lawyer Network since 2011.
- She holds an AV rating (recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity) by Martindale-Hubbell.
- She has held the recognition of "Top Lawyer in Illinois" since 2004, by Chicago Lawyer.
- She has been named an Illinois “Super Lawyer” since 2003, by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business
- She has been named one of the “Top Ten Elder Law Attorneys" since 2011, by the Leading Lawyers Network.
- Janna has been named the top "Women Elder Law Attorney in Illinois", by the Leading Lawyers Network.
- Ms. Dutton is on the Governing Board of Illinois Disability Association (the not-for-profit co-trustee of the Illinois Disability Pooled Trust).
- Volunteer Network with the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
- Working with the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services’ Adult Protection Services Project, Ms. Dutton is assisting, pro bono, the Cook County Adult Protective Services Agencies with their abuse, neglect and financial exploitation cases.
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, National and Illinois Chapter
- Chicago Bar Association, Elder Law Committee, Trust Law Committee
- Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP) of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. The CAP is an invitation only membership for highly experienced Certified Elder Law Attorneys with an AV rating.