In order to provide quality services for, and on behalf of, our older adults, we need to understand how age affects our ability to hear. This post provides helpful information on a topic that is important, for both professionals and clients, to understand.
In addition to hearing aids, there are many wonderful products to aid a person who has hearing loss. One such program comes from the Illinois Access Telecommunications Commission (IATC), which provides free amplified phones. This program, funded by a charge on all local phone lines in Illinois, is run by the IATC and has been issuing equipment since 1988.
In order to qualify for this program, you must:
- be a legal resident of the State of Illinois,
- have working land line phone service at the address shown on the application,
- be certified as Deaf, Hard-of-Hearing, Speech-Disabled or Deaf-Blind by:
- Licensed Physician,
- Speech-Language Pathologist,
- or designated DHS/DRS Counselor.
(There are no age or income restrictions to qualify for the programs.)
Click here to fill out an application, or for more information, contact the Illinois Telecommunications Access Corporation at the information below:
phone: 217-698-4170 or 1-800-8411-6167 (V / TTY)