Kathryn C. Casey
Elder Law Certification and Award
Katie is certified as an elder law attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation. She has practiced exclusively in elder law since 2004 when she began representing clients in adult guardianships and elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation litigation. Since then her practice has expanded to include probate and trust administration, estate planning, retirement benefits, special needs planning, long term care planning, Medicaid applications, and nursing home issues. She devotes a substantial portion of her time to helping families plan for the care of a loved one with a chronic care need. Katie represents her clients with a continuity of care that extends from the creation of a long term care plan to the execution, implementation, and administration of that plan.
Katie commutes 20 miles on her bike each day through sun, rain, sleet, and snow. When not at work, she enjoys being outdoors, gardening, riding her bike, and spending time with her husband and 16 nieces and nephews.
Katie has been licensed to practice law since 2001. Prior to joining the firm in September of 2005, she practiced for five years with the Cook County Public Guardian where she served as the court appointed guardian for disabled adults and served as the court appointed Guardian ad Litem (GAL) for abused and neglected minors. With the Public Guardian, Katie gained a wealth of experience representing clients with difficult and sensitive legal issues, administering complex estates, navigating challenging care issues, and litigating cases of elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation.
- Juris Doctor from DePaul University College of Law
- Master of Arts in English Literature from DePaul University
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from Virginia Tech
- Elder Law Attorney
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, National and Illinois Chapter.
- Illinois State Bar Association's Elder Law Section
- Chicago Bar Association’s Probate and Elder Law Committees
- In 2016 and 2017, Katie has been named one of the “Top 10 Elder Law Attorneys in Illinois” and a “Top Leading Women Lawyer”, by the Leading Lawyers Network and a Top Elder Lawyer by Chicago Lawyer.
- “Advanced Issues in Tax and Medicaid Planning with Retirement Benefits” – authored for IICLE: Elder Law Short Course
- “Life Care, Estate, and Retirement Planning: Beyond the Documents” – authored for IICLE
- “Contested Guardianships: Discovery and Pre-Trail Motions” – coauthored for IICLE
- “How to Combat the Financial Abuse of Elders” – authored for IICLE: Basics of Elder Law
- “Life Care Planning Beyond Estate Management” – authored for ISBA
- “Elder Financial Exploitation & Legal Interventions and Remedies” – authored for Lorman
- “The New Power of Attorney Act: Better Protection Against Bad Agents”
- “A New Law Allows Illinois Convenience Accounts for the First Time”
- “The Basics of Probating a Decedent's Estate: How to Protect the Disabled Person's Interests"
- “When Good Powers of Attorney for Health Care Go Bad,” “Guardianship Matters," and “Our Disabled Children and Grandchildren – authored for Chicago Hospital News