What is Elder Law?
Elder law covers all aspects of planning, counseling, education, and advocating for all of our clients in the greater Chicago, Illinois area. Elder law attorneys are a resource to their clients because they understand their clients’ needs may extend beyond basic legal services and stay informed about and connected to the local networks of professionals who serve the elder population. Elder law encompasses all aspects of planning for aging, illness, and incapacity. The specialization requires a practitioner to be particularly sensitive to the legal issues impacting elder clients.
Elder law attorneys bring more to their practice than an expertise in the appropriate area of law. They also have knowledge of the senior population and their unique needs as well as the myths related to competence and aging. They are aware of the physical and mental difficulties that often accompany the aging process. Because of their broad knowledge base they are able to more thoroughly address the legal needs of their clients. Elder law encompasses all aspects of planning for aging, illness, and incapacity.
For example, when planning an estate, an elder law attorney would take into consideration the health of the person or couple, the potential for nursing home care and the wishes and concerns of the person or couple if that event were to occur.
Elder law attorneys deal with legal issues involving:
- Health and personal care planning, which include the following topics: powers of attorney and living wills; lifetime planning; family issues;
- Fiduciary (financial) representation; financial planning; income, estate, and gift tax matters;
- Planning for a well spouse when the other spouse requires long term care; asset protection; public benefits such as Medicaid and insurance; Veterans’ benefits;
- Capacity; guardianship and guardianship avoidance;
- Resident rights in long term care facilities; nursing home claims;
- Will and trust planning; planning for minor or adult special needs children; probate.
Please click here to schedule an appointment with one of our attorneys.